!!!

by ck on May 12, 2010

Things That Made Me Happy (Despite) this Week

Look, I know. Some weeks are just bad weeks. Tears, tantrums, loss of patience, abandonment of all things good, parking tickets for missing inspection dates, waiting through inspection, FAILING, getting a new tire and having to go BACK for re-inspection all with a 2YO. That’s just the way it goes. So  girl needs to have a few !!! in her arsenal to tide her over. Like the resurfacing of a forgotten $20, or an extra bar of chocolate with that yummy raspberry stuff in the middle. Or…

Beholding this beautiful belly filled with delicious baby goodness and knowing IT’S NOT MINE.

Hearing the email “ding” on my phone (while hiding from my kids in the bathroom) and finding a note with “RE: Playdate” in the subject line. Followed by: “I know it’s last-minute, but _____ would love it if ONE could come over this morning for a play date.

Dirty, grungy “fee-feet” on a child who likes to get dirty, but not stay dirty. Feet that require an immediate bath after two hours at the park which means I finally get to break out this season’s, “I’m sorry, I would’ve made dinner, but I had to get her into the bath and when she was done they were both freaking out with hunger, so they got chicken fingers, we got whatever’s left in the pantry.”

They say you can tell a lot about a person by what their children take out of their purse to use as pretend babies.

That beautiful email “ding” again, this time ushering in an email from my dad that said, “Hi Cindy: I’m now up-to-date with your blog and comments. Great Job! Great Writing! You are a great Mom! Also, how did you make out in the second radio spot? I thought you did an excellent job in the first one.”

Escaping the house for pretty drinks, melted cheese, and bread with the BFF.

A silent phone during said excursion.

Returning home to a quiet house and the very *best* arms in the world.

What makes you

(The password is: HAPPINESS)

<<<Last Week on !!!

©2010 CEK. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

Sarah May 12, 2010 at 6:19 am

Those are some serious arms. And a serious belly. I think I have envy of both. You can keep the dirty kiddie feet, I’ve got six of my own over here. I’ll take the brie, but make it a stiff drink .

Scratch all of the above. If you can figure out a way for my phone to ding with emails like that, I’ll let you keep all your !!! and you can even have some of mine.

Sarah-style !!! is coming up tomorrow for my Five for Ten. Stay tuned!
.-= Sarah´s last blog ..Happiness is =-.

Jen May 12, 2010 at 6:31 am

heeeelllooooo arms!!!!!
And that email from your Dad, awesome.
All of it, awesome.

My !!! for today, a couple hours by my self!!! (following a meeting with my new boss to discuss my return to work…boo)
.-= Jen´s last blog ..Documenting J =-.

ck May 12, 2010 at 10:43 pm

I hope those hours were wonderful, Jen. Here’s to life changes !!!

Aidan Donnelley Rowley @ Ivy League Insecurities May 12, 2010 at 6:37 am

I love this. This medley of moments. These snapshots of reality and interwoven bliss. This peek into your world and wisdom and humor. My !!! is making it through the publication of my first book (in six days not that I am counting) without vomiting every day. (Just a wee bit nervous over here.)

What a perfect way to start this Wednesday!!!

ck May 12, 2010 at 10:42 pm

Your amazing !!! is my dream !!! Congratulations, Aidan!

Christine LaRocque May 12, 2010 at 7:23 am

Real life in all it’s beauty, and such a great testament to how the little things bring such joy. And that ding of e-mails? It frightens me how much I like it.
.-= Christine LaRocque´s last blog ..Happiness From Trying Again =-.

The Mother May 12, 2010 at 8:04 am

You don’t really need dirty kids to do pantry raid dinner. You just need properly trained family.

This week’s !!!:

Recent grad gets to stay in my garage apt for a month while he (gasp!) buys a condo.
.-= The Mother´s last blog ..The Second Annual Ostrich Award! =-.

ck May 13, 2010 at 6:59 am

I’m not sure what’s more !!!

That your son is buying an condo and “officially” moving out (even though he’s been away at school) OR that you have an apartment over your garage…

Futureblackmail May 12, 2010 at 8:20 am

I will have to agree on the arm thing. I love me a level-headed, family man that has arms with tattoos.

And OMG – your kids play baby with hand sanitizer…that’s hilarious.
.-= Futureblackmail´s last blog ..OVER THE EDGE =-.

ck May 12, 2010 at 10:45 pm

(I thought of you when I took that photo. I knew you’d laugh with me on it.)

kate May 12, 2010 at 8:39 am

this post just got me…from the feet to the bathroom hideouts to the arms. hooray for !!! what a great kick-off comment. :)
.-= kate´s last blog ..happiness =-.

Tiffany May 12, 2010 at 8:46 am

I would love to get an email like that from my Dad…that’s definitely at !!!! And those arms are very yummy. Matt has a tatoo on his back…and it still makes me swoon!
.-= Tiffany´s last blog ..Gimme That Girl =-.

TheKitchenWitch May 12, 2010 at 8:55 am

I want that email from Dad. I think that would make, like, my entire life.

You know, I just knew you’d bring the funny today. I love you.
.-= TheKitchenWitch´s last blog ..Veg-Head Monday: Zucchini Stuffed Tomatoes =-.

Amber May 12, 2010 at 8:55 am

As crazy as it sounds, I am usually envious of pregnant bellies. But, an excuse to not cook dinner? That is definitely a !!! moment.

My !!! moment? My cute little guy waking me up with his coos.

ck May 12, 2010 at 10:46 pm

Baby coos = best sound EVER!!!

Mrs.Mayhem May 12, 2010 at 9:04 am

Sounds like a perfect day to me. You are lucky, from the lovely email from your dad to an outing with a good friend. Life really is beautiful sometimes.

My !!! is a long bike ride this morning, sans children.
.-= Mrs.Mayhem´s last blog ..Detained, for Bringing Dangerous German Fruit into the U.S. =-.

ck May 12, 2010 at 10:47 pm

That bike ride sounds glorious. (!!!)

Shawna Cevraini May 12, 2010 at 9:42 am

This is great! I love the simple, yet PERFECT moments! Good for you for finding those !!! ’cause, yes, some days, it is REALLY hard to do. But you did this so well! Thanks for putting a huge smile on my face on a Wednesday morning! Love it!

Stacia May 12, 2010 at 9:52 am

My !!! is two and a half hours of uninterrupted sleep and time this morning to catch up on blogs. It feels like heaven, only I could use a little more chocolate. =>
.-= Stacia´s last blog ..Five for Ten: Happiness =-.

ck May 12, 2010 at 10:49 pm

YES!!! I’m with you 100% on that.

Jenn M May 12, 2010 at 9:59 am

!!! Waking up early and getting the first cup off coffee AND writing my blog entry without interruption.
Also
!!! Having dinner with friends tonight and I’m ALREADY excited for the pina coladas.
.-= Jenn M´s last blog ..Without Fear =-.

ck May 13, 2010 at 6:58 am

Quiet coffee and blogging time AND no interruptions? So very !!!

Kelly May 12, 2010 at 10:11 am

I totally want the !!! of melted cheese on bread with a tasty cocktail. That seems so glorious right now. Today, my !!! is a quick text from my son’s teacher that said: “He’s having a great day!” What a lift!

Also, I’m with everyone else — getting such a supportive and understanding comment/email/statement from one of my parents would totally make my year.

ck May 13, 2010 at 7:00 am

That is a lovely !!! I’ve had conversations with my daughter’s teacher like that and they make me so !!! that my heart overflows.

Jane May 12, 2010 at 10:11 am

I’m still stuck on the fact that you received such a loving, encouraging email from your dad. I know you do, but cherish that relationship. I’m envious!
.-= Jane´s last blog ..Surviving Divorce Is Not Courage. Saving Lives While Risking Your Own IS. =-.

Alisha May 12, 2010 at 10:36 am

Love, love, love this :)

Terry May 12, 2010 at 11:24 am

Great way to tell a story. You had me that whole time. Great arms to come home to. And a Dad that encourages. WOW
Happiness.

Ink May 12, 2010 at 11:47 am

Is it weird that I feel happier now that I’ve read this post, even though none of those things happened to me?

Behold the power of your writing, CK.

SoccerMom May 12, 2010 at 11:56 am

Love the photos.

I think hanging with the bff’s for drinks would be top on my list, at least today anyways.
.-= SoccerMom´s last blog ..The 10 Year Trip =-.

Cathy May 12, 2010 at 12:20 pm

Ooh I have to say – seeing that belly and knowing it’s not mine is pure happiness. A night out with the girls also ranks pretty high. Love the pics – love the !!!.

Enjoy your happiness!

Suzicate May 12, 2010 at 1:11 pm

Not having that baby belly and having those fabulous arms to come home to are awesome things to be thankful…and having those beautiful children with all those loving and crazy moments throughout each day totally make each worth it! And you have a sweet Daddy.
.-= Suzicate´s last blog ..Freaks, Geeks, And Squeaks =-.

Rudri Patel May 12, 2010 at 2:14 pm

Love the email from your dad. I am glad you included that in your !!!. Having lost my father, I would give anything for him to read my posts and comment. But you know what – when my mom, husband and sister comment on my blog, it totally rocks my world.

Love the vast array of your !!! moments.

Word press is doing something weird so here is mylast link: http://beingrudri.com/2010/05/12/the-pendulum/

Allison @ Alli 'n Son May 12, 2010 at 3:11 pm

Your dad’s comment was so sweet. And I can totally relate to having a great night out without any interruptions from the phone. That doesn’t happen often enough.
.-= Allison @ Alli ‘n Son´s last blog ..Happiness Is… =-.

Gibby May 12, 2010 at 6:14 pm

!!! finding a $20 Starbucks gift card I forgot about receiving for Christmas!!!
.-= Gibby´s last blog ..Happiness =-.

ck May 13, 2010 at 7:02 am

Gibby, no lie, that is a DREAMY !!!

Corinne May 12, 2010 at 7:24 pm

That email alone would have made my month :)
Love your !!! moments! And those dirty feet… they make me squeal a little with joy…
.-= Corinne´s last blog ..{Five for Ten} Courage =-.

Maria May 12, 2010 at 8:39 pm

i think you need to make the !!! a regular thing on your blog!

My !!! today was telling a mom that he kid is pretty great.

This afternoon’s !!! was going to get a watch battery replaced with the three kids, sneak in some shopping and NO ONE FOUGHT!!!!!

!!!! ROCKS!

And the whole pregnant belly that is not yours (because you don’t want it to be ;)) and the picture of that glorious Cosmo…Mama likey!
.-= Maria´s last blog ..Happiness is… =-.

Natalie May 12, 2010 at 11:44 pm

I second this!

And now to drag husband off to the tattoo parlor

ck May 13, 2010 at 7:04 am

Passing the !!! love to another mom – Awesome.

Shawna May 12, 2010 at 9:03 pm

You have the bar for this post incredibly high. You photos are so amazing. Sheer talent. I especially appreciate the pregnant belly that is not yours, I am at the stage in my life where I feel nothing but joy for some one else’s perfect happiness.
.-= Shawna´s last blog ..Without Borders =-.

WackyMummy May 12, 2010 at 10:53 pm

That’s some serious happy! Love the feet thing and how it’s a great excuse for chicken fingers. And last minute surprise playdates are the best. Especially when hiding from the kids. ;)
.-= WackyMummy´s last blog ..A Wild Joy =-.

Lauren @ Embrace the Detour May 13, 2010 at 7:45 am

See, this is why I love 5 for 10. I find blogs like yours. I can’t wait to check out the rest of your site!

SO glad that belly is not mine. Whoa.

Justine May 13, 2010 at 10:31 am

I love that you incorporated the !!! into the pictures like that. Through these words, these pictures, your happiness is palpable. And infectious. May you infect many more today with this happy post.

I’m so glad I found you through 5 for 10.
.-= Justine´s last blog ..Two sides of the same coin =-.

rebecca May 13, 2010 at 11:25 am

I love your dad !!! If I had his picture I’d put !!! on him. Just the fact that he knows how to read off a computer and send text messages is way ahead of some!!! My happiness just went up because you have him in your corner !!!

Bano May 13, 2010 at 12:53 pm

Things that make me go !!! :
-Baby Bano sleeping for SIX hours one night last week
-anytime Baby Bano sleeps for 3+ hours at a time
-ice cream
-margaritas
-wine
-reading your blog
.-= Bano´s last blog ..Eggza-eggza-eczema =-.

ck May 13, 2010 at 8:38 pm

Bano, thank you so much for making me part of your !!! I can’t tell you how much it means to me. It makes me !!! all over again.

Hear Mum Roar May 13, 2010 at 10:17 pm

My !!! is that it’s Friday here in Australia. Friday makes all the other !!!’s happen, don’t you think?
.-= Hear Mum Roar´s last blog ..What can you do if your child has a public tantrum? =-.

ck May 16, 2010 at 10:35 am

Here’s to looking forward to NEXT Friday!!!

Casey May 14, 2010 at 6:28 am

I second the excitement that the beautimus pregnant belly isn’t mine and won’t ever be again. Phew. I love those chubby, dirty feet. Elliot is content to leave hers dirty all the time and requires a chase down to get clean. And I’m with Bano, you would definitely be on my !!! list.. you’re my fave.
.-= Casey´s last blog ..Swim Little Fishy =-.

ck May 16, 2010 at 10:36 am

(!!! You know I heart you, Casey !!!)

Faith May 14, 2010 at 2:38 pm

OH!!! I LOOOVE these ones “!!!” They make me feel happy :)

Blingerbelle May 16, 2010 at 10:19 am

Great post!!!
My !!! — After a busy, no time to myself, what didn’t go wrong kind of week — getting home from work to find a small package in the mail with a Starbucks gift card!!!
I had forgotten about that — thanks CK! Your timing is awesome!

ck May 16, 2010 at 10:32 am

!!! Yay for new friends and Starbucks giftcards !!!

Keyona May 20, 2010 at 4:07 am

Hey that belly isn’t me anymore either! But I do have the OH SO YUMMY baby. :)
.-= Keyona´s last blog ..Everything I Hoped He Would Be =-.

Dawn May 20, 2010 at 11:21 pm

That I got to read this post !!! (even though I have been slacking in the blog following department this week)
.-= Dawn´s last blog ..The List =-.

faemom May 22, 2010 at 10:15 pm

I heart you.
.-= faemom´s last blog ..Things I learned this week 5/21 =-.

sewa June 14, 2010 at 4:14 am